Many enjoy capturing photos and videos with their phones, but we often forget that our phone storage can get full fast. To solve this, some store their photos in the cloud. To keep our memories safe from loss or hacking, we utilize passwords and other security measures. But it's tough to keep our data organized and protected online.
Businesses deal with a similar problem on a much larger scale. As the demand for data-related work grows, businesses struggle with storage performance and availability issues. With the increasing demand for data-related workloads, businesses face challenges addressing storage performance and availability issues. This, in addition to the rise in ransomware attacks and shifts in business dynamics, means more enterprises need integrated security measures.
Navigating The Ransomware Protection Landscape
The surge in cyber-attacks, specifically ransomware and malware, has become a prevalent concern for not just IT leaders, but also the executives they work alongside with. Given the alarming statistics and evolving threats, IT teams are focusing on boosting their data storage protection as much as possible. And while we have talked about blueprints for ransomware protection in the past, the recommended approach is different for every organization.
Many organizations often resort to crafting customized strategies, frequently drawing from the NIST Cybersecurity Framework. This framework is widely organized by the five key functions of identify, protect, detect, respond, and recover. Ultimately, it provides a framework for enterprises to manage their cybersecurity risks by better determining the scope of an attack and responding swiftly.
In response to these challenges, unified storage emerges as a strategic solution.
Unified Storage In The Digital Transformation Era
Unified storage emerges as a strategic cybersecurity ally against threats like ransomware. It offers the following advantages:
- A single, scalable platform for streamlined management of data across various locations, be it on-site or in the cloud.
- Cost-effective solution to strengthen data security and recovery strategies.
Implementing unified storage can be challenging for teams without proper guidance and tools. WEI and Nutanix each address this by streamlining the service, eliminating inefficient systems, and minimizing downtime for simplified operations.
Advanced Ransomware Protection
On top of offering a unified storage platform, Nutanix provides IT leaders the opportunity to improve their respective enterprise's security posture through Data Lens. This advanced, as-a-service solution seamlessly integrates with multiple techniques and technologies to ensure ransomware resilience, detection, protection, and recovery. The service provides:
- Global Data Visibility: Data Lens facilitates a proactive assessment of potential threats, coupled with detailed auditing capabilities, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of data security risks and activities. By providing this panoramic view, Data Lens empowers organizations to identify and mitigate potential risks in a timely and effective manner.
- Automated Threat Detection And Blocking: Gain access to a 20-minute containment window for automatic threat detection and blocking. This rapid response mechanism is crucial in preventing the escalation of ransomware attacks, which minimizes potential damage and disruption.
- File-Blocking And Anomaly Detection: This entails the detection of ransomware patterns and the automatic blocking of files exhibiting suspicious behavior.
- One-Click Rapid Recovery: This feature offers a quick and flexible set of automatic options for responding to ongoing ransomware attacks. Simultaneously, it facilitates efficient snapshot recovery, minimizing downtime and ensuring a swift return to normal operations.
- Data Analytics And Lifecycle Management: This includes data age analytics, smart tiering, and space-efficient snapshots. These features enhance the overall efficiency of data management and contribute to storage resource optimization.
- Compliance Assurance: Data Lens provides detailed visibility into user activity, maintains comprehensive audit trails, and offers customizable reporting functionalities. With this solution in place, organizations can adhere to regulatory requirements, demonstrate compliance, and swiftly respond to any audit-related inquiries.
While Data Lens offers valuable features, it’s important to emphasize that it should complement – not substitute – a comprehensive cybersecurity and backup service, especially for tasks beyond snapshot recovery. These services are essential for detecting changes early, monitoring access patterns, and identifying potential threats. Even in situations where a company acknowledges the risk of ransomware, the primary objective remains the swift restoration of normal business operations using snapshots and rapid recovery options.
To effectively counter the growing threat of cyber attacks, organizations must prioritize resilient cybersecurity infrastructure. To achieve this goal, enterprises need to adopt unified storage systems, especially those fortified with advanced ransomware protection features like Nutanix’s Data Lens. This advanced technology not only acts as a robust defense against immediate ransomware threats, but also streamlines data consolidation, bolsters security measures, and facilitates prompt recovery processes.
In the pursuit of strengthening data protection measures, our team of experts at WEI is ready to assist you in attaining your cybersecurity objectives. In the continually changing digital landscape, unified storage emerges as a strategic and technologically savvy decision.