As enterprises push forward with digital transformation initiatives in the face of the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, it’s apparent that modernization of application and software development is a critical part of a holistic approach. In fact, according to a recent survey of 5,000 executive-level respondents:
- 88% believe enterprises with software-minded leaders are more successful.
- 79% state organizations will not be able to deliver a best-in-class end-user experience without successfully modernizing application development processes.
If you’re still unsure about modernizing application development for your enterprise, let’s look at three reasons why it’s critical for your digital transformation journey.
3 Reasons To Modernize Application Development
- Legacy infrastructure is costly. Maintaining and replacing legacy applications, which are overly dependent on platform infrastructures and internal monolithic architectures, account for a large portion of IT budgets each year. Additionally, the time and money required to train new employees on legacy IT applications can also prove costly and time-consuming. Application modernization needs to be a business-centric, multiplatform, and continuous process. Enterprises that understand the value in modernizing applications can:
- Innovate faster and win a greater market share
- Quickly release software to keep up with demand
- Take advantage of cloud elasticity
Just as workers today must continuously update their skills, applications must also be updated to truly benefit from new computing approaches, languages, frameworks, and infrastructure platforms.
- Free Your Apps. Modernizing application development for your enterprise will free them to be used from anywhere within your multi-cloud hybrid architectures through containerization. By the end of this year, estimates are that 90% of new enterprise applications will be delivered using cloud-native approaches, with around 500 million applications by 2025.
Kubernetes, the other piece of the application modernization puzzle, is a portable, extensible open-source platform used to manage containerized workloads and servers. It increases agility, accelerates software delivery, and simplifies the work of both developers and operators. With Kubernetes, applications are now free from underlying infrastructures and platforms. By releasing applications and removing their complex dependencies, you provide the space developers need to do what they do best: build great apps.
- The Power of Kubernetes. Kubernetes is the leading container management platform because of the agility it offers modernized applications. Kubernetes clusters can host them independently as well as encompass multiple machines and environments. That means that a single cluster can span multiple clouds, virtual machines, and operating systems. What’s more, you can even run applications on-premise and in the cloud simultaneously, moving workloads in between them. Modernized applications with Kubernetes give your enterprise the flexibility and ability to use what you need when you need it.
Further, Kubernetes will help ensure new applications are properly aligned with your enterprise’s needs and goals. With greater collaboration between stakeholders and influencers such as the development teams, IT support teams, and application owners, new applications can be created that provide value immediately.
While legacy applications had their time to shine, these three reasons show why modernizing application development is a must as you take on the process of digitally transforming your enterprise.
Modernize Application Development Using VMWare
While there are multiple Kubernetes offerings on the market today that will assist you on the path to application modernization, VMWare is among the top. VMware Tanzu allows users to run multiple Kubernetes clusters and microservices across both public and private clouds in an automated fashion. With the suite of products offered by Tanzu, you can run all your clusters from a single command center and proactively manage policies to optimize and securely protect them. According to customer case studies, results have shown:
- Provisioning time reduction of 90%
- Developers spend 37% more time coding
- New features released 61% faster
Are you sold on modernizing application development with VMWare Tanzu? Contact WEI today to find out how we can help you every step of the way.
Next Steps: Download WEI’s executive brief titled, “Why Modernizing Application Development Is Mission Critical And How Kubernetes Can Help” to learn more about the importance of modernizing application development.