Imagine your IT organization as a ship sailing the seas. Equipped with a sturdy hull, a reliable power source, and a skilled crew, you’re ready to handle any potential threats that appear during your ocean voyage. However, massive waves from an incoming storm unexpectedly hit, which destroys your ship and sweeps away everything onboard. Despite team’s intense preparation, your vessel and its crew are caught off guard for this specific disaster, leaving survival uncertain.
Although rarer than it once was, the above scenario mirrors the potential impact of a ransomware attack on your business. You may have a strong IT infrastructure to streamline many business challenges, but what if a hidden ransomware attack wipes out your data, tools, and accessibility? This happens to businesses of all sizes daily, costing millions of dollars and damaging brand reputations. As a last form or protection, IT leaders are turning to backup solutions that protect businesses from cyber threats. In this blog post, we discuss the features of a reputable backup service to ensure full-time cyber-resiliency.
Cyber Attacks Looming Ahead
Ransomware attacks are on the rise. It’s not just costly, but also jeopardizes business continuity, affect customer satisfaction, and expose you to legal and regulatory risks. A recent Veeam study found that 85% of organizations faced at least once such occurrence in 2023, and most of them more than once. Almost half of these organizations’ data was lost, so they had to restore it from valuable backups. Talk about the importance of this last resort!
However, cybercriminals genuinely want to make sure you pay the ransom. This is why they go after backups first, even before they delete or encrypt your files or infect an organization’s network. The key to hitting your cybersecurity goals is having a reliable backup solution in place to keep business data safe. Let’s explore.
Mastering Cyber-Resilience With A Backup Solution
Various backup solutions are available in the market with WEI being familiar with many reputable platforms. When selecting one to augment your ransomware and overall cybersecurity posture, the key features to look for in a meaningful backup solution include:
- Data Security: Ensure the chosen backup solution employs encryption for data at rest and in transit. It should also have measures in place to prevent unauthorized access or modifications.
- Malware Detection: The backup solution should include a malware detection feature capable of scanning your data for potential threats. Immediate alerts should be provided for any suspicious activity or infections.
- Automated Recovery: Look for a backup solution that facilitates quick and easy data restoration, minimizing downtime and data loss through automated recovery processes.
- Hybrid Cloud Capabilities: Opt for a backup solution that supports various environments, including on-premises, cloud, or hybrid setups. This flexibility allows seamless backup and restoration of data across different platforms.
The effectiveness of a cyber-resilience strategy lies in choosing a robust backup solution, and Veeam's Data Protection solution stands out as one of the industry’s top choices.
What Veeam Brings To The Table
The latest Veeam Data Platform 23H2 Update introduces a new layer of security and ransomware protection for enterprises. It addresses concerns on data security, malware detection, automated recovery, and hybrid cloud capabilities.
Veeam offers the flexibility to backup and restore data across different environments, including AWS and Microsoft Azure. You can use Veeam to back up object storage data to any desired location. This gives more flexibility and control over your strategy and protects data from disasters, corruption, or ransomware attacks.
The newest Veeam Data Platform update empowers organizations to:
- Be Vigilant: The backup process uses an AI-powered built-in malware detection engine to detect and identify cyber threats. This new feature enables your team to perform proactive threat hunting, as backup anomalies are instantly reported in your SIEM tools and ServiceNow. If needed, reach out for a second opinion from your trusted SIEM tool before you recover, using the new Veeam Incident API. This API allows your SIEM tool to mark recovery points as clean, infected, or suspicious.
- Be Protected: The Veeam Data platform update 23H2 enables advanced AES-256 encryption for secure data storage and transfer. This way, only you can decrypt your data, even if stolen. You can also make your backups immutable, even by ransomware, to restore your data from a safe backup during an attack. Furthermore, disconnect backups from the network and limit access only to authorized users to prevent ransomware from reaching and compromising your backups.
- Be Resilient: Veeam’s Instant Recovery technology helps you minimize downtime and data loss. Whether your environment is on-premises, cloud, or hybrid, you have the luxury of choosing the best recovery method for your data – from granular to full – and restore operations from any point in time.
The Veeam Data Platform 23H2 update presents a responsive suite of data security features to prepare organizations for worst-case scenarios, including the ransomware.
As a billion dollar industry, ransomware attacks cause devastating consequences for enterprise data and operations. To protect against such threats, organizations require a flexible and resilient backup solution. Veeam's latest Data Protection update is a reliable security platform that provides a comprehensive solution to combat ransomware.
With Veeam, you can face a sea of cyber challenges with confidence. Contact us today to learn how we can help you implement Veeam’s Data Protection solution.
Next Steps: Download our tech brief titled “Secure Backup: Your Last Line of Ransomware Defense.” It dives into the five steps required for a proactive and secure backup strategy.